By Caribbean News Global contributor
ROSEAU, Dominica – On December 17, 2019, in accordance with Section 59 of the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Dominica, prime minister Roosevelt Skerrit was appointed to the office of minister for finance, economic affairs, investment, planning, sustainable development, telecommunications, and broadcasting.
Prime minister Skerrit took the oath of office, oath of allegiance, and oath of secrecy, administered by the President of Dominica, Charles A. Savarin.
The swearing-in ceremony for other members of Cabinet was held at the Windsor Park Stadium and comprise the following:
- Senior minister and minister of housing and urban development —Reginald Austrie
- Minister of National Security and Home Affairs — Rayburn Blackmore
- Minister of Foreign Affairs, International Business and Diaspora Relations — Dr Kenneth Darroux
- Minister of Blue and Green Economy, Agriculture and National Food Security — Fidel Grant
- Minister of Tourism, International Transport, and Maritime Initiatives — Denise Charles
- Minister of Youth Development and Empowerment, Youth at Risk, Gender Affairs, Seniors’ Security, and Dominicans With Disabilities — Dr Adis King
- Minister of Trade, Commerce, Entrepreneurship, Innovation, Business and Export Development — Ian Douglas
- Minister of Governance, Public Service Reform, Citizen Empowerment, Social Justice and Ecclesiastical Affairs — Gretta Roberts
- Minister of the Environment, Rural Modernisation and Kalinago Upliftment — Cozier Frederick
10. Minister of Health, Wellness and New Health Investment — Dr Irving McIntyre
11. Minister of Public Works and The Digital Economy — Senator Cassani Laville
12. Minister of Sports, Culture and Community Development — Roselyn Paul
13. Minister of Education, Human Resource Planning, Vocational Training and National Excellence — Octavia Alfred
Ministers of State and Parliamentary Secretary’s include:
- Minister of State in the Office of the Prime Minister, with responsibility for Telecommunications and Broadcasting — Senator Oscar George
- Minister of State in the Ministry of Finance, Economic Affairs and Planning — Senator Gregory “Karessah” Riviere
- Minister of State in the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, International Business and Diaspora Relations, with Specific responsibility for Diaspora Relations — Edward Registe
- Parliamentary Secretary in the Ministry of Tourism, International Transport, and Maritime Initiatives, with special responsibility for Air and Sea Port Operations — Chekira Lockhart-Hypolite
- Parliamentary Secretary in the Ministry Of Health, Wellness and New Health Investment, with particular responsibility for Community and Home Care — Kent Edwards
The speaker of the House of Assembly is Joseph Issac.
Following the announcement of the election results, prime minister Skerrit called for an atmosphere of peace and parliamentarians to stay connected with constituents.
“The key for all of us is to stay close to the people, and we have to engage with people more. It is not sufficient to drive around with our tinted vehicles and not see the people, because politics is about people and the representation of our people. And so, we have to stay close to the people and I have no doubt that you will do so but I just want to remind you that is important for us to do it.”
In an address to the Commonwealth of Dominica, on the election victory of the Dominica Labour Party (DLP), prime minister Skerrit said:
“The labour party will continue its mission to protect our seniors, the poor and vulnerable; expand opportunity for all citizens; build a just society, a robust economy, a resilient natural and built environment and secure the future of our young people and our country.”