- ‘GOSL’ – Government of Saint Lucia meaning the executive, legislative, and judicial branches.
- Collective responsibility is understood and a prerequisite that formulates the execution of Cabinet – [executive] referenced in ‘GOSL’.
- CIP St Lucia is a department under the direction of the Minister for Tourism, Investment, Creative Industries, Culture and Information, Dr Ernest Hilaire, acting Prime Minister of Saint Lucia. [March 18, 2022]
- The issuance of the press release – Government of Saint Lucia Outlines its Position on Russian Applicants to CIP – March 18, 2022 – is opportune, in the absence of Prime Minister Philip J Pierre, attending the 6th sitting of the OECS Assembly in Antigua and Barbuda. The prime minister is expected to return Saturday, March 19, 2022.
- The suspension of applications from nationals of the Russian Federation and the Republic of Belarus is “a big climb down from Dr Ernest Hilaire’s ill-advised information” ostensibly equates “minister for misinformation?“
- Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf came to worldwide prominence around the 2003 invasion of Iraq. He was nicknamed Baghdad Bob or Comical Ali for his colorful television appearances as the Information Minister of Iraq. Many ostensibly equates, Dr Ernest Hilaire, acting as prime minister of Saint Lucia, with ostensive credentials – “minister for misinformation?“
By Caribbean News Global
LONDON, England – In the article, March 17, “St Lucia defends sale of passports to Russians ” […] and the ostensible continuance of Russians and Belarusian participation in Saint Lucia’s CIP programme, follows the efficacy and nuance to a press release, “Government of Saint Lucia outlines its position on Russian applicants to CIP” and a Memorandum from CIP Saint Lucia, March 18, 2022, Suspension of applications from nationals of the Russian Federation and the Republic of Belarus.
The duplicity of communication on the subject matter has also revitalized – Mohammed Saeed al-Sahhaf who came to worldwide prominence around the 2003 invasion of Iraq. He was nicknamed Baghdad Bob or Comical Ali for his colorful television appearances as the information minister of Iraq.
Many now equate, Dr Hilaire, acting prime minister of Saint Lucia, with similar credentials – minister for misinformation?
- Related: Listen to the nuance of folly.
March 17, Caribbean News Global (CNG) noted that the ‘GOSL’ “superficial policy” if upheld, threatens the island and its people unnecessarily, in addition: “Putting you First – Putting Saint Lucia First requires a recalibration of the mindset and utterances of wingmen and lightweights who seek to advance the interest of oligarchs – and actions that put the political and economic interest of personality first. And thus, Saint Lucia is unnecessarily exposed to global action, that cannot be easily discarded.”
The Citizenship by Investment (CIP) units of Dominica, Grenada, St Kitts and Antigua and Barbuda took the lead to suspend Russians and Belarusians from applying to their CIP programmes with no exceptions.
GOSL outlines its position on Russian applicants to CIP
In the efficacy of nuance to the GOSL, press release March 18, in the absence of the prime minister, reads:
“The government of Saint Lucia has joined the rest of the international community to condemn the Russian invasion of Ukraine and expressed its solidarity and support for the government and the people of Ukraine. The GOSL will continue to support all international efforts to sanction the regimes in Russia and Belorussia and will take all necessary action when called upon to do so.”
The single-mindedness of the said release continued:
“The GOSL has clearly stated that Saint Lucia, as a principle, does not support the discrimination of any person based on their nationality,” continued. “The GOSL supports the call to restrict the access of any Russian national to use the CIP to avoid sanctions and mask their affiliation to the Russian regime. However, some individuals have applied who have lived outside Russia for many years and themselves have been persecuted or needed to flee the actions of the regime.”
The GOSL press release that equates to Baghdad Bob or Comical Ali – expressed its feelings:
“It was felt that these people should not be abandoned and disregarded once they pass due diligence. The CIP unit in Saint Lucia now has a very rigid and robust due diligence process that is done in consultation with our international partners and friendly governments.”
The failure of the GOSL to see the writing on the wall from the onset, albeit numerous credible intelligence was discarded, consistent with Baghdad Bob or Comical Ali expressing delusional and substandard advice to himself and the government.
Meanwhile, in besieged surroundings, Player or played? – the GOSL press release noted that it “has continued to dialogue and discuss with all its international friends to ensure that it is part of the international effort to restrict the Russian regime and to ensure transparency and openness in the operations of its CIP unit,” obliged to the following:
- Review all the Russians who have been given citizenship during the Allen Chastanet administration and to date to ensure that no one who is sanctioned was granted citizenship and a passport;
- Revoke the citizenship of anyone who was granted citizenship and is now sanctioned. Citizens who are not on the sanctions list will continue to enjoy citizenship;
- Suspend the processing of applications from nationals of the Russian Federation and the Republic of Belarus.
Meanwhile, the twofold messaging from the said GOSL press release that “outlines its position on Russian applicants to CIP”, and “as a principle, does not support the discrimination of any person based on their nationality” says, in a separate Memorandum, hours apart gives a directive that, “effective immediately, CIP unit shall suspend the processing of applicants from nationals of the Russian Federation and the Republic of Belarus.”
Notwithstanding the duress to socio-economic and future alignments, including the “12th World Festival of Youth and Students held from 27 July to 3 August 1985 in Moscow, capital city of the then Union of Soviet Socialist Republics, the festival was attended by 26,000 people from 157 countries. The slogan of the festival was “For anti-imperialist solidarity, peace and friendship“.
The question now surrounds confirmation of which current cabinet minister attended: and what is the current association with the Russian Federation and the Republic of Belarus?
Meanwhile, contending attitudes reflect as follows:
“ The GOSL will continue to make representation for persons who are special cases suffering from persecution and discrimination from the Russian regime and are in need of support in these difficult circumstances.”
However, most notable, mix-messaging relevant to CIP Saint Lucia, bring to mind, the similarity of albatross in the previous government and now.
Arguable, conflicting personalities should demonstrate respect for accountability and transparency; reveal details of CIP funds and passport holders, and to stop misleading parliament and the people of Saint Lucia on CIP.
The difficulty in answering should be obvious!