St Lucia Jounen Kweyol movement will be restricted, says ministry of health

0
267
Destination St.Lucia @VisitSaintLucia

By Caribbean News global contributor

CASTRIES, St Lucia – Amid modified lockdowns and improved vaccination rates, covid-19 and Delta variant cases continue; the ministry of health, on Tuesday, October 26, issued a health alert, “there will be restrictions on movement from Saturday, October 30 – Monday November 1, 2021.”

“As Saint Lucians look forward to Jounen Kweyol, one of the most anticipated national observances in Saint Lucia, the government encourages all to celebrate this Jounen Kweyol at home with family instead of large social gatherings, which can reverse the hard-fought gains which have recently been made against the COVID-19 virus,” the health alert added. “ The Cabinet of ministers recognizes and applauds the efforts of Saint Lucians to collectively reduce the rate of transmission of the deadly COVID-19 virus. Every effort must be made by all to prevent another deadly wave of the COVID -19 pandemic. The new adjusted protocols will be presented by Moses Jn. Baptiste, minister for health wellness and elderly affairs, by Friday of this week.

Protecting gains in the COVID-19 battle

On Monday, October 25, 2021, the ministry of health, wellness and elderly affairs confirm eight new cases of COVID-19 from a total of 102 samples which were collected between October 22 and October 24, 2021.

The ministry of health noted the recovery of ten individuals diagnosed with COVID-19. This brings the number of active cases in-country to 389. Currently, one individual is in a critical state and six others are severely ill at the Respiratory Hospital, stating that:  “The number of positive cases makes up 7.8 percent of all the samples processed on that date. These new cases bring the total number of cases diagnosed in-country to date to 12,433.”

The ministry of health also reported six new COVID-19 deaths and three COVID-19 related deaths, which occurred between September 29 and October 17, 2021: thus confirming, “To date, the total number of COVID-19 deaths in-country is 190 and the total number of COVID-19 related deaths is 60.”

Concerning vaccination, the minister reported on October 25, “a total of 36,615 individuals have received the first dose of the AstraZeneca COVID-19 vaccine and 31,242 have received the second dose. A total of 13,681 individuals have received the first dose and 8,559 individuals have received the second dose of the Pfizer vaccine.”

St Lucia health officials claims fourth wave of COVID-19 ebbs

Earlier this month, Saint Lucia health officials in a press release attributed to Government Information Service (GIS), said: “ The fourth wave of COVID-19 in Saint Lucia has peaked and is on the decline. On October 11, the ministry of health, wellness, and elderly affairs reported a reduction in transmission, hospitalization, positivity, and prevalence rates. Dr Belmar-George forecasts average resolution of the fourth wave by November 2021, barring any major increases in risks for new transmission,” the GIS report stated.

China placed Lanzhou on lockdown

On Tuesday, October 26, China placed Lanzhou, a city of four million people, under a strict lockdown amid the latest surge in Covid-19 cases and asked residents to remain in place unless it’s an emergency, as reported. “The situation of epidemic control and prevention in Lanzhou is serious and complex,” the Mayor said and explained that the quarantine was taken to prevent the COVID-19 outbreak from spreading further. […]

Even though 2.2 billion vaccines have already been administered among the 1.4 billion inhabitants, the authorities continue strictly their policy of zero tolerance against COVID-19, which implies selective confinements and massive tests for coronavirus in all those areas where it has detected cases.

Late 2019, in Wuhan, where coronavirus was first identified, organizers have abruptly cancelled another marathon Sunday that was expected to draw 26,000 participants.

However, help is on the way #Putting People First – “The government of Saint Lucia will be changing the protocols to allow events and non-essential social activities for vaccinated patrons and for the phased operations of other businesses which were restricted over the last three months.”

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here