- Current protocols and measures extended to February 16, 2021
- Sale of alcohol extended until Wednesday, February 24, 2021
- SOE extended until May 16, 2021
- Curfew from 7:00 pm to 5:00 am
By Caribbean News Global contributor
CASTRIES, St Lucia, (CNG Health) – In furtherance to COVID-19 (Prevention and Control) Act, No. 9 of 2020, that authorised the minister responsible for health, to extend the lockdown that expires on the 10th day of February 2021, and as determined by the government of Saint Lucia in the State of Emergency (SOE) “the current protocols and measures have been extended until Tuesday, February 16, 2021,” a statement from the office of the prime minister said.
In addition, “the restriction on the sale of alcohol has also been extended until Wednesday, February 24, 2021.” Further to the judgement by the parliament of Saint Lucia, that toggles, the SOE is also extended until May 16, 2021, with a curfew from 7:00 pm to 5:00 am.
According to the government press release, the SOE and curfew can be reviewed, amended or discontinued pursuant to regulations by the governor-general.
“A meeting of National Emergency Management Advisory Committee (NEMAC) and stakeholders is scheduled for later this week in order to assess existing measures and decide on the way forward,” while the government elaborated the measures which still stand:
Read more: Press Release and LIST FEB 10TH 2021
Meanwhile, Saint Lucia’s new isolation strategy, according to the Ministry of Health (MOH) press release February 10, 2021, elaborated on a “Mixed Model of Care“.
“The ministry has utilized a mixed model of care which allowed for the management of mild cases to take place within communities. They have been monitored by a dedicated medical team overseeing cases being managed at home. This approach had been taken given that approximately 80 percent of people diagnosed with the virus experience fairly mild disease. As a result, a large number of our cases remain at home to isolate and receive care until they recover.
“However, in undertaking routine reviews of the national plan to manage the COVID-19 outbreak which includes the treatment and care component, the ministry of health recognizes the need to adjust this model of care. There have recently been a large number of people currently being managed in the community. This combined with the inadequacy of some homes to give the required isolation as well as breaches has resulted in recent changes to the isolation strategy for our confirmed cases. Home isolation is now being transitioned to state-based isolation facilities.
“Effective immediately, this change now means that mild cases are being placed within hotel sites and the moderate to severe cases continue to be cared for within the national respiratory hospital. This allows for a greater degree of vigilance in the management of the milder COVID-19 cases, given home isolation cannot be effectively conducted for some individuals who are in care.
“… It is expected that this new model will support efforts to contain the virus and will allow for more focused care being delivered to all our patients as their period of infection is being managed,” the MOH said, seeking the support and cooperation of the public in observing this policy.